Monday, March 21, 2011

The Prophecy to Pega

This part is unnecessary, but I'm going to go ahead and start writing it until I decide not to use it.  Guthlac prophecies to Pega of  many things, including the coming of the Reformers:

The Sovereign God is all they know
Omnipotent above
So desperate, they, to make Him King
God-in-control of everything
(or "God is in control," they sing)
Conductor, pulling every string
That He forgets He's Love

Yes, Christ is King! He reigns in ways
We cannot comprehend
He makes a throne of maiden-womb
A cradle, cross and stone-sealed tomb
And, bringing light to Sheol's gloom,
He reigns and brings death's end.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm... unnecessary and perhaps deleterious. Currently I am thinking it would be better left separate, but that does not stop it from being potentially a lot of fun. Frankly, I really enjoy this jab at "sovereignty." Naturally, I believe that God is sovereign. How could a Christian not? But so often, it simply is a code word for "God is a dirty rotten bastard-jerk and he does things we would arrest, or at least shun, any human being for doing, but we're all going to apply this theological term to his dreadfulness and pretend he's not so horrid after all."

    P.S. My word verification text for this comment is "dominist." One who subscribes to a lordship-based theology?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had assumed that the last line of the first stanza above was a typo, that "they" were the ones doing the forgetting. But since the verb agrees with a singular subject, I'm thinking it's not a typo after all. The god-which-they-imagine "forgets" its own essential nature? That is to say, forgets that which would be its essential nature, were it an actual God to have an essential nature, and if it bore any relation to God as revealed by and in Jesus Christ. [And here we get dangerously close to my Calvinist-god-as-idol rant.]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a soap box rant to me.

    ReplyDelete